Tax season is almost over, and if you’re anything like the average American, this is a huge relief. Take a look at this entertaining and aggravation-free list of tax trivia to blow off a little steam and get you through the next two weeks.
- The once place in the world where you pay a tax on buying or selling blueberries? Maine, USA
- The only developed nation with no—zero, zilch, nada- income tax? Monaco
- To this day, Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must still pay a barrel of rum in tax to the Constable of the Tower of London.
- There are over 7 million words in the tax law and regulations. That beats the Gettysburg address, the Declaration of Independence, and the Holy Bible all rolled into one (269+1,337+773k). Yikes. (Ok, so maybe that one was little aggravating.)
- Lady Godiva, an 11th century noblewoman, rode through town, naked, to protest her own husband’s tax increase on his tenants.
We’re not all willing to the same lengths as Lady Godiva to protest our taxes, which is why it’s so important to develop a financial strategy that plans for April 15 instead of one that reacts.